Discussing all things ice climbing
The UIAA Ice Climbing Commission and UIAA Office representatives met in Paris on the weekend of 8-9 April for their annual meeting.
The topics covered during the two-day meeting included:
- A review of the 2017 season: event debriefs, judging & route-setting reports, athletes’ reports, LOCs reports.
- Updates on the road to the 2022 Winter Olympics: The Pyeongchang 2018 location (where ice climbing will feature as a cultural event in the Olympic Park) has been defined and format has to now be decided. A project leader will be elected soon.
- Software improvements: Synchronization of several processes such as registration, license application and generation of starting lists as well as results.
- Debriefs of potential venue inspections: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia and Oulu, Finland showed promising features, but the IC Commission suggests further development before inclusion into the UIAA Ice Climbing World Tour.
- Video viewing figures and livestream programme put in place during the 2017 season.
- IC Development: The Commission would like to link certain events together as Regional Cups, such as the “Balkan Cup” (Slovenia, Croatia and Serbia) and promote these on the UIAA website to encourage athlete participation prior or post UIAA World Tour.
The next meeting will take place in Busteni, Romania on 21-22 April, 2018
Full details on the UIAA & Ice Climbing can be found here.