UIAA Rock Climbing Festival Award
Rewarding the true spirit of rock climbing
Since 2015 the UIAA has organised the annual UIAA Rock Climbing Festival Award. The awards is offered to climbing festival organisers in recognition for meeting the criteria of the UIAA Rock Climbing Working Group. Each year the focus of the Award switches to a different continent, to ensure the impact of the UIAA’s commitment to rock climbing is truly global.
During the assessment process for the Award, festivals are reviewed and a shortlist is drawn up of those which meet UIAA criteria and support the development of climbing in a particular region. It is an opportunity for the UIAA to offer support in the development of climbing and offer advice to organisers in terms of safety, sustainability and sport. It is also an opportunity to showcase diverse climbing styles and the points of the UIAA Climbers Manifesto.
Each year the Award focuses on a special region, or continent, where nominees can apply via the UIAA online registration system. In 2019, the Award will target solely festivals in Asia. Apply here. The following criteria applies:
- The festival is organized or approved by a national member federation of the UIAA. Development festival projects may also be recognised where there is no UIAA member federation present in the country.
- The festival is held in accordance with UIAA values.
- Contribution is made to sustainable development of rock climbing in their country and/or continent.
- UIAA Safety label equipment must be used in any workshop held.
- Prominent climbers from that country or region participate.
The host events are published and promoted on the UIAA website at least two months in advance.
The festival must include a sustainable action plan with, at least, one of the following projects: