Therapeutic Use Exemptions
Athletes, like all people, may have illnesses or conditions that require them to take particular medications or undergo procedures. If the medication or method an athlete is required to take to treat an illness or condition happens to fall on the World Anti-Doping Agency’s (WADA) Prohibited List, a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) may give that athlete the authorisation to take a substance or use a method that is prohibited.
Applications for TUEs are reviewed by a panel of experts, the TUE Committee (TUEC), who may give such permission.
The following guide makes essential reading and provides the following information:
- What are the criteria for granting a TUE?
- Who should apply for the TUE to the UIAA, where and when?
- How to apply to the UIAA for a TUE?
- How to submit a request for recognition of NADO’s TUE to the UIAA?
- When will I receive a decision on my TUE application (or request for recognition)?
- How about the renewal of my TUE?
- What if my UIAA TUE application is denied?
- What if my NADO’S TUE is not recognised by the UIAA?
If athletes have a doubt as regards to which organisation you should apply for a TUE, or as to the recognition process, or any other question with regard to TUEs, please contact:
Email: Dr Marija Andjelkovic
Essential Resources Library
UIAA TUE Template