Since it was founded in 1969, the UIAA Mountain Protection Commission (MPC) has worked to guide action and be the voice of the UIAA for advocacy on mountain protection – the mountains being one of the last natural and free spaces of significance on Earth. The MPC’s goal is to ensure that the mountain’s unique environment and cultures will still be there for the benefit of future generations of mountaineers and wider humanity. The MPC also promotes the work of UIAA members and the broader mountaineering community that contribute positively to sustainable mountain development.
General purpose of the UIAA Mountain Protection Commission:
- Provide expert advice and support to UIAA members on matters pertaining to mountain protection.
- Raise awareness about the fragile nature of mountain ecosystems.
- Encourage responsible and sustainable behaviour and practices
Tasks of the Commission:
- Promote sustainable mountain regions development and reward innovative initiatives in low-impact adventure tourism and mountain conservation. (UIAA Strategic Plan Goal #9)
- Raise awareness about environmental issues and furthering education on mountain protection and sustainable mountaineering practices. (SP Goal #9)
- Support the UIAA in guiding and promoting actions taken or proposed by our federations that aim to preserve the mountain environment in its natural state. (SP Goal #8, 11)
- Encourage the adoption and respect of all relevant and applicable international declarations, including UIAA’s own ethical guidelines, that aim at preserving mountain ecosystems and cultures. (SP Goal #8)
- Liaise with international organisations on mountain protection issues and provide assistance to the Access Commission, when requested, on matters pertaining to access and environmental issues to support member federations on such issues within their own countries. (SP Goal #2, 8, 13)
- Support the UIAA in including sustainability in all aspects of the UIAA. (SP Goal #10)
The MPC’s activities focus on
- Through its flagship Mountain Protection Award, promoting sustainable mountain regions development and rewarding innovative initiatives in adventure tourism and mountain conservation which directly engage climbers and mountaineers in the process.
- Raising awareness about environmental issues and furthering education on mountain preservation and sustainable practice.
- Supporting concrete actions taken by UIAA federations that aim to preserve the mountain environment in its natural state.
- Encouraging the adoption and respect by all of international declarations, including UIAA’s own ethical guidelines, in order to preserve mountain ecosystems and cultures.
- Global advocacy and liaising with international organisations on mountain protection and sustainability issues and providing assistance, when requested, to member federations on such issues within their own countries.
- Supporting the UIAA’s commitment to tackling climate change through the dedicated Taskforce.
Mountain Protection Commission Membership
Date and Location TBC
New Zealand (NZAC)