Area & Database
The Legal Affairs Commission (LAC) was founded in 2022. It was formerly a longstanding Working Group in the Mountaineering Commission.
General purpose of the Legal Affairs Commission:
- Support Executive Board, Management Committee and Commissions in areas concerning the law.
- Give the best possible advice through its network of international law experts
- Collect and share know-how in law related to mountains and sports
Tasks of the Commission:
- Support and give recommendations to UIAA entities about topics of law of their interest, e.g. environmental law, intellectual property (IP) law, insurance and liability, sports and travel law.
- LEWG provides quick consultation to meet commission legal needs.
The LAC’s activities focus on
- Case study database of climbing and mountaineering legal cases
- Legal advice for UIAA Training Standards
- Legal advice in connection with the copyright of UIAA Safety Standards, as well as misrepresenting of the UIAA (TM) Safety Label logo
- Cooperation with UIAA Climate Taskforce
- ENVI/Access support for guidelines, awards, advocacy and solving difficult cases.
- Mountain Workers Initiative (MWI): prepare guidelines and recommendations for porters in high mountains
- Gathering of cases, mainly judgements from all around the world, related to mountaineering accidents in the mountains and their selection in a database accessible to UIAA member federations and mountaineers
Legal Commission Membership
Date and Location TBC
Czech Republic (CMLA)
United States (AAC)