The UIAA is proud to reward those who promote responsible rock climbing. Ever since its foundation in 1932, the UIAA has supported and developed mountain sports and rock climbing in parallel with its commitment to protecting the environment in which they are practised. High mountains, big walls, bouldering, ski mountaineering, ice climbing and rock climbing; these are all activities in the DNA of the UIAA and run in parallel to its commitment to sustainable practices. The UIAA Rock Climbing Festival Award, which initially ran from 2015-2019, will be relaunched shortly. Further details to follow.
Details on the past winners of the Award can be found here.
Festivals must meet the following criteria:
1. Promotion of Rock Climbing for All
- Rock Climbing for Youth
- Para-Rock Climbing or diversity in climbing
- Rock Climbing workshops and promoting safe practice in all styles of climbing appropriate to the region or venue
- Evidence of sustainable climbing initiatives
2. Preservation of the Environment
- Environmental education around rock climbing
- Protection of the fauna and the flora
- Environmental sustainability and good practice
3. Contribution to economic development
- Creation or development of Rock Climbing community
- Promotion of climbing tourism in a sensitive manner
- Sustainable job creation, support for clubs or rescue organisations
Would you like to discuss rock climbing festivals with the UIAA?
Contact the UIAA with details about your initiative: