Peter Muir recently paid his first visit to the UIAA Office in Bern since becoming President in October 2020.
Muir’s visit was scheduled around several strategic meetings which helped advance progress across a number of core areas of the UIAA Strategic Plan:
- Sustainability. Discussions with UIAA Mountain Protection Commission President Carolina Adler on the progress being made on the revised UIAA Environmental and Social Guidelines (due for release at the end of 2023) as well as the upcoming focus of the UIAA Climate Change Taskforce.
- Safety: Meetings with UIAA Safety Commission President Lionel Kiener on the progress of safety working groups, anchor corrosion and welding testing progress and a desire to increase awareness about the importance of the UIAA Safety Label.
- Collaboration and Networking:
- UIAA Executive Board meeting with several members in attendance and others joining remotely.
- Bilateral meetings with International Federation of Sport Climbing (IFSC) President Marco Scolaris – discussing issues of mutual interest, opportunities for collaboration and regular exchange of views. Muir’s visit coincided with the IFSC Climbing and Paraclimbing World Championships held in Bern from 1-12 August.
- Official dinner with Swiss Alpine Club current and past Presidents, IFSC and UIAA General Secretaries.
- Joint meeting with International Ski Mountaineering Federation (ISMF) President Regula Meier and International Federation of Mountain Guides Associations (IFMGA) President Urs Wellauer – discussing issues of mutual interest, opportunities for collaboration and regular exchange of views
- Meetings with Swiss sports authorities and Bern host city representatives
- Meeting with officials from the Chinese Mountaineering Association (CMA) with a particular focus on safety standards/lab testing and organising UIAA Ice Climbing events.
- Progress updates with UIAA Office and staff members
- Sport: Attending events held as part of the IFSC Climbing and Paraclimbing World Championships (photo below) and gaining an appreciation for top class performances and professional organisation of the event by host federation the SAC and the IFSC.
The UIAA pays close attention to its carbon footprint, as document in its annual Carbon Footprint Reports. Peter Muir’s visit was structured in a way as to maximise every opportunity to meet key stakeholders and UIAA delegates.
The visit would not have been completed without a visit to the Swiss Alps. Main photo: Mahmood Hashemi, (UIAA EB), Peter Muir (UIAA President/EB), Nils Glatthard (UIAA Director of Operations), Simon Alden (UIAA MC), Françoise Jaquet (UIAA Treasurer/EB), Lode Beckers (UIAA General Secretary/EB)