The UIAA is recruiting for a new President of its Mountain Protection Commission (MPC). The position will be available from May 2024, at the end of the maximum term for the present incumbent.
The UIAA Mountain Protection Commission (MPC) deals with technical advice, guidance and advocacy support on sustainability issues that affect, or are affected by, climbing and mountaineering practices, as well as support engagement with those with whom we share the mountain space (landowners, Indigenous and local communities). These include environmental aspects such as climate (change) and mountain biodiversity and ecosystems, as well as socio-economic aspects such as cultural values, environmental ethics, or waste management, among others.
Please see the foot of this article for details on other open positions (further information to come).
UIAA Mountain Protection Commission President
- As a Commission President, you will lead and work closely with the experts of the MPC
- Coordinate MPC output with project management and assistance from the UIAA Office
- Based on the UIAA Strategic Plan, identify, submit to the UIAA Management Board and foster projects of relevance to the more than 90 UIAA member associations and the climbing and mountaineering community
- Overview and be responsible for the implementation and execution of MPC projects
- Quarterly report on project status and MPC output to the UIAA Management Board
- A degree, practical experience, and/or background expertise in relevant disciplines or fields such as earth/environmental studies, geography, social sciences, (environmental) management
- Relevant experience in or familiarity with sustainable development and sustainability issues, especially in outdoor recreation
- Familiarity with mountain protection topics in education, training, communication campaigns, management practices, or policy advocacy.
- Excellent language skills in English
- Proven social and communication skills in a diverse international environment
- Proactive team leader and eager to take initiative while delegating tasks
- Personal interest and experience in outdoor sports such as hiking, climbing, ski touring, mountaineering
- Availability for regular online meetings and up to 2 in-person meetings annually, including meeting preparations and follow-ups
- Responsible, diversified work content with a wide range of creative opportunities
- Opportunity to guide the UIAA in its mountain protection related work and ‘give back’ through a voluntary position in the leading global climbing and mountaineering organization
- Cooperation in an open, committed, and diverse team
- Foster your international mountain network
- May 2024 – May 2028 (with the option to extend term by another 4 years)
Are you interested?
- Your nomination will need to be approved by a UIAA Member Federation
- We look forward to receiving your complete application, including a CV and motivational note and signed Conflict of Interest Declaration, by 21 March 2024 via this form.
Other Commission Positions
Please note that the UIAA is also inviting nominations for the other following positions:
Youth Commission President
Mountaineering Commission Vice President
Mountain Protection Commission Vice President
Positions descriptions will be available shortly. For further details please use the contact details below.
Applications can be made using the same form.
Main photo: The annual UIAA Mountain Protection Award falls under the remit of the MPC. Photo: Protect our Winters (Past MPA Nominee)