The UIAA thanks the organisations and projects who have submitted their application as part of the 2018 UIAA Mountain Protection Award. For initiatives interested in application for this year’s Award, or would like to share this article with anyone who may be interested, please find some important details below.
Who can apply?
The UIAA MPA platform is open to all UIAA member federations, as well as other associations or institutions whose activities are directly related to mountaineering and mountain-based sports. To apply for the UIAA MPA, projects must correspond to at least one of the following categories:
• Conservation of biodiversity – including flora and fauna
• Sustainable resource management, such as energy or water
• Sustainable waste management and disposal
• Adaptation to/mitigation of effects of climate change
• Protection of the environment through culture and education
Application is free. Deadline closes 25 June.
What are the benefits?
• Every approved initiative and project submitted to the UIAA MPA is showcased as part of the MPA platform. Becoming part of the UIAA’s global network creates tangible benefits for both the nominees and the Award winner in terms of raising project awareness, networking and exchanging ideas.
• All nominees are promoted individually on the UIAA website and through the UIAA’s social media channels.
• All showcased projects receive a UIAA MPA 2018 project logo to share on their website and in communication material concerning their project.
• Furthermore, the winning project receives as 5,000 USD financial grant, is featured in a dedicated press release and invited to the UIAA General Assembly.
Where do I apply?
Is information available in my native language?
Where can I find out more information?
The Award showcase can be found on the dedicated platform area which also includes a complete record of all showcased projects – and winners – from 2013. Please click here.
About the 2018 Mountain Protection Award
The UIAA Mountain Protection Award (MPA) was created in 2013. During its six years of existence, the annual UIAA Mountain Protection Award (MPA) has made a tangible difference to mountain lives, communities and the environment. It has enabled people to raise finances to build key infrastructures, conduct vital research and fulfil pending goals; it has provided an international showcase and communication platform for projects to raise awareness and exchange ideas and initiatives. Not only has it supported local communities, it has fostered its own global community. The Award celebrates innovation and a desire to make a difference.
Main photo: 2017 UIAA Mountain Protection Award nominee, Sustainable Summits/Clean Climbing on Denali (USA)